797 Santa Margarita Ave
Lead Montessori Teacher & Assistant Director - Preschool Age (2.5-5 years old)
Full Time / Part Time:
1 - 3,
Position beginning: June 20, 2023
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm
We are seeking an experienced, credentialed Montessori 2.5-6 teacher who will also act as an assistant director. This candidate should have a least two years teaching experience and hold an AMS or AMI primary credential. Three units in early childhood education administration are desired but not required. The candidate must have strong communication skills and be able to motivate and inspire our small team of six Montessori trained teachers. This individual should have a desire cultivate an environment that fosters a love of learning!
Glen Oaks Montessori is an established early childhood program that is well respected in the surrounding community. Our school aims to develop the intellectual, emotional and social independence of the child in a nurturing and multicultural environment. In addition to our Montessori curriculum, we have a strong a peace education program as well as music, Spanish and gardening programs. We invite teachers who are passionate about Montessori philosophy and want to work with us to maintain our nurturing and authentic Montessori environment!
- The Montessori teacher is responsible for all aspects of creating a dynamic Montessori learning environment. This may be in conjunction with a co-teacher or as the sole Montessori teacher in the classroom.
- Create a child-centered, responsive, prepared environment filled with experiential learning materials. This will be using Montessori materials and other hands-on materials that are in line with Montessori philosophy. Teachers are responsible for changing the Montessori materials monthly to align with the school’s yearly curriculum calendar.
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests while maintaining an authentic Montessori environment.
- Encourage active, purposeful, hands-on learning whenever possible.
- Focus on increasing each students' quantity and quality of self-directed activity and interpersonal skills.
- Meet with parents and guardians to discuss their child's development and to determine the priorities for their child. This may include helping to determine a child’s learning resource needs.
- Provide written reports of children’s progress at two times per school year during face to face conferences.
Daily Responsibilities Teacher & Assistant Director
- Receive students in a positive and welcoming manner while screening for wellness each morning.
- Pre-class preparation, including consultation with co-teacher; This includes some cleaning and snack preparation.
- Outline projected routine of the day including any special activities.
- Convey information concerning the special needs of children; propose possible strategies that may support positive behavior and minimize negative behavior.
- Identify materials to be shown to specific children that day.
- Track attendance, student in/outs, illness, injury and other information for the director.
- Consult with other teachers for curriculum ideas, sharing materials, and scheduling common activities.
- Shared preparation of the playground for outdoor free play. On a rotating basis, teachers are responsible for bringing outdoor equipment from the storage area to the playground and putting it away.
- Scheduled cleaning of classroom materials and environment. The school has a daily janitorial services, however teachers are responsible for some necessary cleaning in between activities.
- Ensure the safety and well being of the children at all times. Communicate with the director and fellow teachers to ensure that school transitions and activities run smoothly.
- Work with the director to ensure licensing requirements are being met throughout the day.
- Communicate with parents and relay any necessary information to director and fellow teachers.
- Answer the phones & respond to brightwheel messages in a timely and courteous manner.
- A minimum of two years as a lead or co-lead teacher in a Montessori 2.5-5 classroom
- Authorization to work in the United States
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm and focused in a busy, child oriented classroom of 18 students and be a collaborative and supportive co-teacher. The Montessori Preschool teacher must always be kind, warm, polite, caring and respectful.
- A clear commitment to the educational philosophy of the school as articulated in the mission statement of Glen Oaks Montessori
- Fluency in reading, writing and speaking in English
- Excellent verbal and written skills, as well as outstanding interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well with all students and colleagues
- Willingness to adapt to an existing curriculum as well as contribute ideas to enhance the respective academic programs
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Be able to regularly and safely lift up to 30 lbs.
- Be able to crawl, bend, stoop, reach and sit on the floor
- Work primarily in a traditional climate controlled classroom environment and work regularly in outside weather conditions, including heat and cold typical to the Peninsula of the Bay Area.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Compensation is based on education and experience according to the Glen Oaks Montessori salary schedule.
- Full time teachers receive seven weeks paid vacation during scheduled school closures, five paid holidays and paid sick leave.
- Full time teachers are eligible to participate in our school’s health plan or a monthly health stipend will be paid to the employee.
- Full time teachers are eligible for retirement savings plan.
- Full time teachers are offered a 50% discount for tuition for their children to attend Glen Oaks Montessori or Burlingame Montessori.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Early Childhood Montessori certification required (AMS/AMI or equivalent certification)
Resume, 3 teaching references, transcripts, copy of Montessori teaching Diploma
How to apply: Please send an email including your resume to our school’s web address: firstname.lastname@example.org