PROCEDURE FOR ISSUING AN I-20
Applicant must create the online account which includes the Application.
The following documents are emailed to MTEC-SFBA.
Each document is numbered and titled as indicated:
1. List of Basic Information:
- Given Name
- Name Listed on Passport
- Preferred Name
- Date of Birth
- Country of Birth
- City of Birth
- Country of Citizenship
- Source of Financial Support (Self or Sponsor)
- Total Funds from Self
- Total Funds from Sponsor
- Issue Reason: Initial Attendance or Change of Status Requested
- Permanent Address in Home Country - Complete
- US Address, if any
- Date Applicant Intends to Start MTEC
- The Credential Level Applicant Seeks:
- i.e.- Infant & Toddler, Early Childhood, Elementary I, or Elementary I-II
- Site Location: i.e.-San Leandro, San Mateo, or Sunnyvale
2. Finance Verification
The finances may be a personal bank account statement from the applicant and/or a Sponsor Agreement to support applicant financially. The funds may come from several different sources but must total $17,000.00 USD.
All financial support documents must be in English, or with an official translation into English from the bank attached.
- All bank statements and bank letters must be on bank letterhead and include the name of the account holder, account number, and specific amount of funds.
- The name of the sponsor on the affidavit of support must match the name of the account holder on the bank statement or bank letter.
- All funds must be readily accessible and liquid, such as savings accounts and checking accounts. Investments with fluctuating values are generally not accepted as viable proof of funds.
- An F-1 student may not act as a sponsor for a fellow F-1 student.
- The following are the types of sponsorship that an F-1 student can have with MTEC:
- Affidavit of Support (Notarized)(Attached below)
- Initial Entry – US Sponsor
- Affidavit of Support (Notarized)
- Initial Entry – Sponsor Abroad
- Guarantee letter of support
- Initial Entry – Self Sponsor
- Transfer–In – Self Sponsor, US Sponsor, or Sponsor Abroad
- Recent bank statement with appropriate amount of funds for duration of I-20
3. Letters of Reference - Three (3) Label 3A, 3B, 3C
4. Current VISA - Copy
5. Current Passport - Copy
6. Personal Statement of Purpose
7. Education Documents - :
- Degree certificates.
- Bachelor degree transcripts or High School diploma/GED
- Foreign transcripts of college degrees must later be evaluated by an NACES agency to determine their equivalency to a United States degree. (www.naces.org).
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required for acceptance into the Elementary I and Elementary I-II courses.
- MTEC does not require applicants to submit a language test; however, the US Embassy strongly recommends that all student visa applicants provide standardized test scores.
- Relevant test scores, e.g. TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, or LSAT
All of the above seven (7) documents are required. All documents are submitted as a set at one time by scanned email.
When the seven (7) documents are provided, the applicant is accepted into the MTEC credential program after an interview.
Please note that the SEVIS I-901 Fee is paid by credit card and on-line.