CURRICULAR PRACTICAL TRAINING (CPT)
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization is available to F-1 students entering the Practicum/Internship/Student Teaching.
The Practicum is a requirement for the American Montessori Society Teacher Credential. Implementation of the Montessori philosophy and the Montessori curriculum is the purpose of the practicum/student teaching leading to mastery of the MACTE competencies.
The Practicum is defined by a minimum duration and schedule:
Early Childhood and Infant & Toddler Teacher Credentials:
- Minimum of 3 hours per day,
- Five days per week - Monday through Friday,
- Nine consecutive months - September through May,
Elementary and Administration Credentials:
- Minimum of 6 hours per day
Request for the CPT in order to begin the Practicum occurs at the successful completion of the academic curriculum classes. All financial obligations must be fulfilled.
- Completion of the core course components
- Academic standing with all coursework graded with "B" or higher
- Financial accounts current
- Active F-1 status
- A semesters of CPT Practicum is required.
- A student must complete CPT by the expected completion date (June 30th) on the I-20.
- An I-20 is not extended for the sole purpose of extending the CPT.
- The MTEC Office is authorized by the US Government to apply for curricular practical training (CPT) for a specific employer and for a specific period of time of no more than 12 months.
- Employment may not begin before the first day of authorization and may not extend any later than the last day of authorization.
- In order for MTEC to authorize CPT, the student create the AMS Recommendation form in the student's web-based file with school practicum site, and supervising teacher information.
- And an offer letter from the employer.
- Select a Montessori school that qualifies as a practicum school. (Refer to the Student Handbook).
- Email all required employment letter and a cover letter requesting CPT to MTEC. Mail the non-refundable CPT Fee of $275.00 to MTEC's main office.
- The CPT authorization is added to the student's I-20.
- Three copies of the CPT are issued to the applicant. All copies are required to be signed by the applicant:
- One copy is required to be given to the employer
- One copy is the applicant's
- One copy is for Social Security
Note: I-20 students cannot enroll in Practicum coursework until CPT is issued.