You are here

Procedures for Processing F-2 Dependents

Spouse or child of an F-1 student may enter the United States as a F-2 status. There is a $100 fee per F2 I-20 request. MTEC requires the following documents for F-2 status:

  • Permanent address in home country
  • Proposed address, if any, in the US
  • Country of citizenship
  • Country, city and date of birth
  • Copy of passport
  • Copy of Current VISA
  • Birth Certificate (Required for child of F-1)
  • Marriage Certificate (Required for spouse of F-1)
  • Additional financial resources to support dependents during F-1's entire course of study (an additional $6,000.00 per dependent)

All documents must be submitted at one time.

F-2 dependents are not eligible for employment and may enroll part time in a course of study. For traveling and re-entering the United States the F-2 dependent requires an I-20 that is produced with the F-2's biographical information.

F-2 dependents may participate full time in a vocational or recreational studies, such as hobbies. F-2 minors must comply with compulsory education requirements in attending kindergarten through 12th grade.

F-2 dependent who wishes to enroll full time in a course of postsecondary academic or vocational study must apply for and obtain approval for a Change of Status to F-1 before beginning their full-time study.