You are here

Preparing to Leave the United States for Vacation

Be prepared for your return to the United States when you go through inspection with U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers at U.S. port of entry.

Hand-carry (not pack in checked luggage) the following documents:

  • Valid passport with valid F visa
  • Signed Form I-20, "Certificate of Edibility for Nonimmigrant Status."
  • Proof of financial support
  • Your contact information, including a 24-hour emergency phone number

You should also consider bringing the following:

  • Evidence of acceptance to MTEC (i.e. acceptance letter)
  • Proof of paying the I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee

You also can be more prepared for arrival to the United States by knowing what happens at the port of entry. Helpful topics including the possibility of being directed to secondary inspection and either denial of entry or receiving a Form I-515A, "Notice to Student or Exchange Visitor," for failure to have all necessary documents. You should be prepared with what to expect, know what to do and understand how you can help them through these processes.

Disclaimer: The above information is not a substitute for applicable legal requirements, nor is it itself a rule or a final action by SEVIS or MTEC. It is not intended to, does not, and may not be relied upon to create any right of benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law by any party in any administrative, civil, or criminal matter.



Arrange for the travel authorization signature on the second page of the I-20.  MTEC's PDSO or DSO will not permit travel if the student is on academic probation or has not met all student responsibilities.